Arista Networks is an industry leader in cognitive cloud networking for mission-critical data center and campus environments. Arista’s award-winning platforms deliver availability, agility, automation analytics and security through CloudVision® and Arista EOS®, an advanced network operating system.
Global TV Maritimes Makes a Major Move and Upgrades to HD
Global TV Maritimes is Maritime Canada's source for news, weather, traffic, events and features. Global recently received an exciting face lift by moving their television station from Dartmouth, Nova Scotia to a brand new location in Halifax’s North end. This major move involved building an entirely new space to house their digital equipment room, studio, news room, edit suites, engineering shop, transmission facilities, greenroom and office space, as well as upgrading all their equipment, infrastructure and systems to HD.
As with many projects, the major challenge in this project was the timeline. Transition deadlines left very little time to move from one facility to the other, which resulted in installing infrastructure, cabling and equipment in a new facility that wasn’t ready for the Applied Electronics staff to enter immediately.
Shaw had a great multi-functional team in place so they were in need of an expert integrator that could complement their strengths. Applied Electronics won the contract to supply on-site project management, wiring, configuration and testing services for this encompassing project. Shaw Halifax rolled out their initial concepts and designs of what they had hoped to achieve and the Applied staff used this information as the basis of their project building. Working hand-in-hand with the Halifax based crew and Shaw’s own project coordinator, Applied Electronics built the infrastructure for all new technical areas.
- Telemetrics Robotic equipment
- Panasonic robotic cameras
- Sharp Displays
- AJA conversion gear
- Lectrosonics audio gear
- DER (Digital Equipment Room)
- Evertz Router
- Avid Edit Suite
This technical facelift included:
- Supplying and installing new racks in DER (Digital Equipment Room.)
- Wiring a new Evertz router and Multiviewer through patch, then to end points throughout the station.
- Installing an upgraded production network system in DER.
- Wiring and installing an Avid Edit Suite.
- Wiring and installing three GVG News Editing Suites.
- Wiring and installing a TX and RX Supersuite.
- Wiring and installing the equipment and infrastructure for a Telemetrics system in the studio.
- Wiring new fibre bulkheads - both inside and outside the station.
- Installing a QC and Multiviewer system in the Engineering shop.
- Wiring and installing all the glue and infrastructure.
Applied Electronics provided mostly installation and integration support for this project, in addition to supplying infrastructure products that included: Middle Atlantic racks, Telemetrics Robotic equipment, Panasonic robotic cameras, Sharp displays, Telecast fibre systems, Optical switches, AJA conversion gear and Lectrosonics audio gear.
When it came time to move the operation from interim location to the new facility, Applied Electronics and Shaw placed as many experienced staff on site as possible to ensure the transition went smoothly. The new infrastructure and Shaw News set worked flawlessly after the move and provided a fresh look to audiences watching the Morning Breakfast Show and evening news shows.
See MoreBroadcast Projects