Camera Automation Software to make Live Production effortless. Powered by computer vision and machine learning, the Seervision Suite enables your existing cameras to autonomously track and keep the subject in optimal framing. It enables you to capture broadcast quality shots even with a tight production budget, where camera coverage is limited and the right skill set is not accessible.
Calgary's McMahon Stadium-Scotiabank Saddledome Remote Link
Applied Electronics Enables Remote Link with McMahon Stadium Cameras from Scotiabank Saddledome Control Room for Calgary Stampeders
Pushing the boundaries of technological innovation, Applied Electronics designed and built a fiber optic-based system to remotely link six cameras at Calgary’s McMahon Stadium to the control room at the Scotiabank Saddledome arena, which is 10 kilometres away, during a Calgary Stampeders football game. The transmission of audio and video signals to and from the Scoreboard at McMahon Stadium is controlled by the operators in the Saddledome control room.
McMahon Stadium is owned by the University of Calgary and operated by the McMahon Stadium Society, which is a non-profit organization in Alberta that operates, improves and manages the Stadium, together with its facilities, for sports, recreation and other useful purposes.
Calgary Sports & Entertainment Corporation, which manages the Scotiabank Saddledome, owns the Calgary Stampeders of the Canadian Football League (CFL), the Calgary Flames franchise of the National Hockey League (NHL), the Calgary Hitmen of the Western Hockey League (WHL), the Calgary Roughnecks of the National Lacrosse League (NLL), the Stockton Heat of the American Hockey League (AHL), and the Adirondack Thunder of the ECHL.
The Calgary Flames, Hitmen, and Roughnecks play at the Scotiabank Saddledome; while the Stampeders play at McMahon Stadium.
Calgary Sports & Entertainment approached Applied Electronics in the spring of 2015 with the goal to eliminate the rental production truck cost for each game and increase efficiency by sharing technical resources between the Scotiabank Saddledome and McMahon Stadium. The concept to control McMahon Stadium cameras, produce content and display Game Day entertainment on the Stadium’s scoreboard from the Saddledome control room is innovative. The successful design and integration of a fully functional, one-of-a-kind system, with no content delay, is the first of its kind in Canada.
Applied Electronics designed the system to work using two portable road cases that would move from the Saddledome (used during Flames, Hitmen and Roughneck games) to McMahon Stadium for use during the Stampeders games. Intercom, tally and all six camera feeds originating from McMahon Stadium are sent to the Saddledome, mixed, and then sent back to McMahon Stadium with no delay via fiber infrastructure installed by Shaw Communications.
The remote link system includes:
- Evertz 7708VB-8-HSE 8-Channel HD/SDI/DVB-ASI Bi-directional + Ethernet Fiber High Sensitivity Transceivers.
- Evertz 7700DA6-HD-L HD/SD-SDI Re-clocking Distribution Amplifier with Loop Thru
- Evertz 7800FR-78P 3RU Multiframes, which hold up to 15 single slot modules with AC power supply.
- Evertz 7800FC VistaLINK® Frame Controller with VLPRO-C VistaLINK PRO S/W Configuration Tool
- Ikegami BSH-300 Ethernet/ICCP Command Converter, which includes a touch screen LCD with rotary encoders, and SD Memory Card slot for full camera setup and filing capability.
- Ikegami OCP-300 Ethernet Capable Operation Control Panel – an Ethernet/Arc-net/ICCP multi-network control system
- DNF Controls AIB1 AnyWhere Interface Box(control super glue), which maps an EVENT input (GPI Input, Serial Receive, Ethernet Receive, and Periodic Timer) to an ACTION output (GPO Output, Serial Transmit, Ethernet Transmit, and SNMP Transmit).
- HP 1920 Series Fixed Port Web Managed Ethernet Switch
- RTS/Telex RVON-IO 8-Port VoIP Analog Interface
- RTS/Telex DSI-2008 Digital System-to-System Adapter
- Blackmagic Design Rack-Mounted Audio Monitor with subwoofers for full quality sound and balanced analog, AES/EBU and 6G-SDI inputs.
- Blackmagic Design SmartView Duo for intelligent SDI monitoring with broadcast quality scopes
- AVP 1x16 Insulated Universal Bulkhead Panel System with cable bar 1RU, no connectors.
- Anixter Single Mode Patch Cord Fiber Optic Cable Assembly
Applied Electronics’ Broadcast technicians wired the two road cases, rewired the Saddledome CER, and worked through unforeseen network issues giving the Stampeders a unique, user-friendly, state-of-the-art system within a very short timeline.
Within three weeks of project award, Applied Electronics had the remote link system ready and operational for the Calgary Stampeders’ pre-season home opener on June 12th, 2015.